This tool takes a snapshot to copy words or images from all or part of your PC screen. Use Snipping Tool to make changes or notes, then save and share.
Capture any of the following types of snips:
|Free-form snip||Draw a free-form shape around an object.|
|Rectangular snip||Drag the cursor around an object to form a rectangle.|
|Window snip||Select a window you want to capture, such as a dialog box.|
|Full-screen snip||Capture the entire screen.|
How to Open Snipping Tool in windows to take a screenshots on a pc.
|For Windows 10 same as Windows 11||Select Start, enter the snipping tool, then select Snipping Tool from the results. Press the |
Windows logo key + Shift + S.
|For Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1||Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, select Search, enter the snipping tool in the search box, and then select Snipping Tool from the list of results.|
|For Windows 7||Select Start, enter the snipping tool in the search box and choose Snipping Tool from the results list.|
How to take a screenshot on a PC procedure.
With your Snipping Tool open, select one of the following to create and work with your screenshots.
Capture a snip
In Snipping Tool, select Mode. Select the arrow next to the New button in earlier versions of Windows. Next, when you choose the kind of snip you want, you’ll see the whole screen change slightly to gray. Then, choosing from anything currently displayed on the screen, select the area of your screen that you want to capture.
Capture a snip of a menu
- After you open Snipping Tool, open the menu you want to capture. For Windows 7, press the Esc key before opening the menu.
- Press Ctrl + PrtScn keys. The entire screen changes to gray, including the open menu.
- Select Mode, or in earlier versions of Windows, select the arrow next to the New button. Select the kind of snip you want, and then select the screen capture area you want to capture.
Annotate a snip
After you capture a snip, you can write or draw on or around it by selecting the Pen or Highlighter buttons. Select Eraser to remove the lines you’ve drawn.
Save a snip
- After you capture a snip, select the Save Snip button.
- In the Save As box, type a file name, location, and type, and then select Save.